Firefox plugin: It's All Text - make it use the same instance of GVim

One of my favourite Firefox plugins is It's All Text! which allows you to use an external editor to edit text areas in a browser page.

One of my favourite text editor (up there with UltraEdit) is vim and gvim. I wanted to use "It's All Text!" with gvim. It is easy enough to point the plugin at the gvim executable, but this meant each time I used the plugin, it would open a new gvim instance.

For Windows, this is the workaround I found to make sure "It's All Text!" would always open in the same gvim instance - opening a new tab each time. Create a cmd file:

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\Vim\vim72\gvim.exe" --remote-tab-silent %1

Then point "It's all Text" to that batch file instead, e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\rbram\My Documents\Tools\Windows\editFileInExistingVim.cmd

Popular Posts