Platforms and Accessibility

If you are a developer, stop what you are doing and read this now: Steve Yegge's Google Platform rant.

Then ask:

  • Why can't Google Reader work with Google+?
  • Why can't Flipboard work with Google+?
  • Why is Google senior management not using Google+?
  • Why can't I change the default font size in Chrome? Yes you can - but for a long time you couldn't. Whew. (But another lesson for me: too many sites control the font size when they shouldn't.)
  • Why can't Google Docs support user created styles?
  • Why does the Google Docs mobile UI suck. SUCK.

It's all about Platforms and Accessibility.

Never before has this been made so clear to me. It has changed the way I think about my job.

Steve deleted the original post because it was meant to be an internal communication only, but I think what he says is important. It points out the most important thing that Amazon does right and Google does wrong. And it has quite changed the way I think about SOA.

Popular Posts